How To Become A Better Student in Nigeria 2024: Unlike what many students believe, becoming a better student is more than just about passing tests and getting good grades.
It involves creating an integrated strategy for education and personal development.
Learning the skill of being a better student can result in more tremendous academic success, improved self-discipline, and a brighter future whether you are in high school or college.
In this article, we’ll explore key strategies and tips to help you become a better student, accompanied by illustrations to reinforce these concepts.
Recommended For You: How To Apply For Student Loan Nigeria: Easiest And Fastest Means
10 Tips On How To Become A Better Student In Nigeria 2024
1. Set Clear And Smart Goals: The first and one of the most important tips that will be discussed in this article is “setting smart goals“.
What are goals? According to the Cambridge Dictionary, ” the act of stating clearly what you want to achieve or what you want someone else to achieve.”
In a simpler explanation, “goals are results or milestones you seek to accomplish in the future.“
Relating it to our discussion, we can conclude that goals are results or accomplishments Students desire to achieve in the future which in return help them become better students in their academics and beyond.
Examples of smart goals you can set as a student are as follows;
1. Graduate with a good grade.
2. Develop better research skills.
3. Develop an outstanding resume before graduation.
4. Help your team win a sports competition in school.
5. Win the award of the overall best-graduating student.
All these are examples of smart goals you can set as a student that can help you become a better student, some of these goals could be long-term goals or short-term goals depending on the time frame you set.
However, it is important you know that achieving these goals is not as easy as some students might assume.
One of the most effective strategies is setting Smart goals. Smart goals are clear, specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time-bound.
To set Smart goals, you should write down your academic objectives for the semester or year, and break them down into smaller, manageable tasks.
This visual roadmap will keep you motivated and on track.
2. Create a Study Schedule: As a student, there are possibilities that you will have a busy schedule while in school.
However, it is important you create time for your study. That is why time management is crucial for academic success.
Create a study plan that allows specific time for each subject while allowing for breaks and leisure.
You’ll find it simpler to manage your academic workload and lessen procrastination if you follow the schedule you have established.
Ensure that you create a study schedule that works for you so that you won’t struggle to stick to it.
However, if you still struggle to stick to your study schedule, there are online technological tools you can use to help you stick to your schedule.
Some of these tools include Google Calendar, Microsoft To-Do, Evernote, Todoist, TimeCamp, Asana, and so on.
Not only does creating a study schedule help you achieve your academic goals, but it also helps you keep up with rigorous courses or tasks.
3. Discover Your Learning Style: Every student has a unique way of learning. Some are visual learners, others are auditory learners, and some prefer hands-on experiences.
Identifying your learning style and adapting your study techniques to suit it.
Visual learners might benefit from colorful diagrams and mind maps, while auditory learners can record and listen to lectures or notes.
The idea behind using your preferred learning style is it make it easier and simpler to learn or study rigorous courses.
Additionally, you can develop active learning techniques that promote a better understanding of complex academic courses.
Active learning strategies like summarizing, challenging, or teaching the topic to someone else should be used instead of passive reading or listening.
This strategy helps you understand and remember the material better.
4. Stay Organized: As a student seeking academic success, staying organized is paramount.
During academic sessions, you will juggle with lot of academic and extra-curricular activities ranging from meeting up with classes both online and physical, catching up with study groups, keeping up with assignments, meeting up with school sporting activities, hanging out with friends, and so on.
Staying organized in the midst of all these activities not only reduces stress but also boosts your efficiency as a student.
Organize your study area, notes, and materials. To keep things organized, use folders, notes, or digital tools. An uncluttered setting encourages productivity and lowers stress.
Technology can also be a valuable tool for learning and keeping you organized if used wisely.
Use educational apps, online resources, and note-taking software to streamline your studies.
However, be cautious of distractions and limit your screen time to maintain focus.
5. Study And Learn Efficiently: It is one thing to study and another thing to study efficiently.
Studying efficiently helps you study right.
Studying efficiently might be tasking but one thing that can keep you going is reminding yourself of the goals which in return keeps you motivated.
Some of the ways you can study and learn efficiently include;
1. Studying in a quiet environment or using noise-canceling headphones without playing music.
2. Studying even when it seems boring.
3. Avoiding procrastination and keeping a positive spirit.
4. Study ahead of classes and prepare questions if you have any.
5. Study and prepare ahead of quizzes and exams.
6. Conduct quizzes and exams for yourself before the school exam.
7. Read widely to expand your vocabulary.
6. Attend Classes Regularly And Be Attentive.
It is important to know that if your attendance for classes and seminars is low, then it will affect your performance in class.
A little secret that most teachers don’t tell students is that exam questions are always emphasized in classes in the form of extensive explanations by the lecturer or repeatedly asking the students the same question during class.
In order to become a better student, you should attend classes regularly, be attentive, take notes, ask questions, and also participate in discussions.
7. Seek Help When Needed: There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking for further assistance if you don’t comprehend a topic or are having problems completing a task or assignment for your degree.
That is what makes you a student, you are there to learn and acquire knowledge.
Don’t hesitate to ask for help when you encounter challenging topics. Reach out to your teachers, professors, or classmates for clarification.
Join study groups or online forums to collaborate with peers and gain different perspectives on the subject.
See Also: Trade Payables Explained
8. Review and Revise Coursework: Regularly review and revise your notes and coursework.
Spaced repetition, where you revisit the material at increasing intervals, can significantly enhance long-term retention.
This approach will help you perform better on exams and assignments.
9. Practice Self-Care And Good Mental Health Status: Academic success also depends on maintaining good physical and mental health.
Get enough rest, keep your nutrition balanced, engage in regular exercise, and reduce stress with breathing exercises or mindfulness exercises.
Learning is easier when the body and mind are in good health.
10. Stay Motivated And Confident: Lastly, remember why you embarked on your educational journey in the first place.
Stay motivated by visualizing your goals and celebrating your achievements along the way.
Keep a positive attitude, and you’ll be better prepared to overcome obstacles.
A road toward being a better student requires commitment, self-awareness, and continuous development.
You may reach your maximum academic potential by making clear goals, implementing efficient study techniques, and taking care of your well-being.
Utilize the examples as visual cues to help you stay on course while you strive for academic greatness.
With the right mindset and approach, you’ll not only become a better student but also prepare yourself for a successful future.