Finance interns are young individuals who usually finance recent college graduates and assist the finance department of any organization in implementing the financial policies of an organization.
Some of the activities involve payroll system, budget control, bank statement reconciliation, preparation of financial statements, etc
NB: the role of finance internship in any organization begins with proper training of the individual by the organization. Depending on the organization, the duration of most organizations for the role of finance intern is usually 3 – 6 months.
But before any organization can accept you for the internship role, there are some skills you must have acquired. It’s definitely the reason most finance intern openings have qualifications.
Additionally, These qualifications are not limited to just college certifications. But they also include some soft skills and finance software skills. It’s important to acquaint yourself with these other skills to be more qualified than other applicants.
Also, Let us look at some of the Descriptions of the role.
Must Read: Biggest Financial Advisor Company In Nigeria
Job Description Of A Finance Intern In A Nigerian Company
The job description contains the duties, responsibilities, and functions you will perform.
- Assertions and examination of the financial statement.
- Examining documentation, reports, operating practices, and recording to ensure the established internal control.
- Manage specialized information, reports, and forms dealing with fees, billing, and tracking of projects.
- Develop financial models to value equity and debt for acquisitions, mergers, and capital-raising transactions.
- Analyze accounting options and afterward recommend financial actions.
- Assisting in the posting and recording of daily journal entries.
See Also: Personal Finance explained
Furthermore, According to ZipRecruiter “The job of a finance intern is to support the organization while learning about a career in finance. Finance interns gain practical experience in the constantly growing field of finance.
Regular duties and responsibilities for finance interns include generating and analyzing reports, taking notes during meetings, preparing statements, entering data, and assisting with audits. A finance intern might also complete administrative work while observing different aspects of accounting, portfolio management, financial reporting, or banking.”
See Also: Best Finance Blog In Nigeria
How To Become A Finance Intern In A Nigeria Company
To become a finance intern in any organization, you obviously meet the requirements of the organization.
As I stated earlier, the qualification for the role does not end with acquiring a good grade college certification. Aspiring to be a finance intern further involves getting software skills.
Some of these software skills include:
- Microsoft Office package ( including MS Word, MS Excel, and MS PowerPoint)
- Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP)
- Quick book etc.