What Exactly is Finance: Finance is a term, that is used to describe the process of creating wealth and the management or investment of the created wealth. Finance also involves the study of money, currency, and capital assets. One very interesting thing about finance is that “it can be used in every aspect of life”.
Additionally, it is very important to note that finance doesn’t stop at wealth creation but further extends to the management of wealth so that it can last for a long period of time.
Three Major Types of Finance
2. Corporate finance
3. Public finance
Let us go into detail
1. Personal Finance: Personal finance involves the process by which an individual or family raises money or cash and the measures taken by the individual or family in order to manage the wealth created.
2. Corporate Finance: Corporate finance refers to the various means by which corporate entities obtain funds or capital and how these funds are managed in order to achieve organizational goals and objectives.
Corporate finance activities include financial planning, asset management, capital budgeting, risk management, database management, planning and control, investment decisions, capital structure, company debt management, asset acquisition and disposal, and so on.
However, some of the ways corporate entities generate capital include sales of shares, loans from financial institutions, dividends, sales of corporate bonds, etc.
3. Public Finance: Public finance is a type of finance that studies the activities of the government in generating revenues and how these revenues are managed to ensure growth and development in the country. Public finance activities include budgeting, taxation, public expenditure and revenue, fiscal policy, and so on.
Revenues generated by the government are called public Funds.
Must Read: Best Finance Blog In Nigeria
What are the functions of Finance?
The various functions of finance include the following:
1. Management of Risk
2. Financial planning
3. Allocation of Resources
4. Smooth operation of the business or entity
5. Financial decision making
6. Capital budgeting
7. investment decision
What are the sources of finance?
- Loans from banks or financial institutions
- sales of shares
- Disposal of Assets
- Capital Reserve
- Taxes ( in the case of public funds)
- Donations and contributions
- Retained Profit/earnings
Feel free to drop any questions or contributions in the comment section.
Recommended article: What Does A Finance Intern Do In A Nigerian Company
Importance Of Finance
1. Efficient Allocation Of Resources: Finance assists people and organizations in making wise financial decisions, enabling efficient resource allocation. It makes sure that money is allocated to the most fruitful and advantageous applications.
2. Finance Stability: Individuals, corporate institutions or even governments can achieve financial stability, debt reduction, and improved quality of life by learning about and putting effective financial management practices into practice. In order to achieve objectives like housing, education, and retirement, personal finance expertise is necessary.
3. International Economic Relations: In the case of public finance, Intergovernmental economic cooperation is fueled by international financing. A solid financial foundation is necessary for exchange rates, trade agreements, and international investments.
4. Good Decision Making: Making good decisions requires the use of frameworks and tools that finance offers for assessing opportunities. In order to evaluate the possible risks and benefits of alternative options, people and organizations use financial analysis and forecasting.
5. Cash Flow Management: For people and organizations to fulfill their financial commitments, pay their bills, and take advantage of opportunities, managing cash flow is essential. Financial stability and continued operations are guaranteed by effective liquidity management.
6. Smooth Government Operations: Funding for government operations, public services, infrastructure improvements, and social programs depends on public finance. Finance is a tool used by governments to handle taxation, budgeting, and income.
7. Entrepreneurship: For start-ups and new businesses, finance is essential because it enables them to fund their operations and turn creative concepts into successful ventures. Whether a fresh business idea is realized depends on the availability of money.
8. Risk Management: Financial management and risk mitigation assist both individuals and enterprises. Diversification, hedging, and insurance are strategies that protect against unanticipated events that could otherwise result in financial losses.
9. Capital Formation: Businesses can raise capital through a variety of channels, including equity, debt, and retained earnings, thanks to finance. This money is necessary for operations improvement, research, and expansion.
10. Investment and Growth: The ability to invest in opportunities, assets, and initiatives that have the potential to yield profits is made possible by finance for both private persons and corporate entities. This investment stimulates innovation, supports job creation, and grows the economy.